In about 1952, Mack Land and Cattle Co. donated land at Hwy. 395 and Church St. and the Methodist Church was built upon that corner. Walton's Funeral Home currently occupies that building. In 1968 the former Methodist denomination merged with the Evangelical United Brethren and became the United Methodist Church. For financial reasons, the congregation was historically yoked with churches in Smith Valley, Yerington and Antelope Valley (Coleville) with the Pastor serving as many as three congregations every Sunday. This changed in 1987 when Pastor Pete Nelson became the first full time pastor serving just the Gardnerville congregation. In 1997 the current church we are in today, was built by Dirk Jansse. Within a couple years, an amazing gift paid the mortgage in full! All told, there has been a Methodist presence in the Carson Valley for some 106 years!
The above history of the Carson Valley United Methodist Church was provided by Pastor Pete Nelson, April 2014, prior to his retirement in June 2014.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was first established in the Carson valley in 1858 on Main Street in Genoa as a circuit riding mission. (Dates vary from 1856 but 1857-58 is the most verifiable.) The Genoa Community Church is the successor church, claiming heritage to 1858. A second congregation was established in the middle of the valley in 1896. The Genoa church burned down with much of Main Street in 1910. The Genoa congregation then decided to merge with the valley congregation. Proceeds from the land in Genoa went on to purchase a parsonage that still stands on Mission St. close to the "S" curve on Hwy. 395.